We are delighted to announce that this very
significant survivor arrived at our workshops on 15 November
2017, the latest addition to the TV&GWOT collection.
The acquisition follows a competitive
tendering process by Haynes International Motor Museum, who
have owned No.1852 for 27 years. The bus is now in need of
its third and most extensive restoration and TV&GWOT was
selected to become its new owner on account of the Trustís
pedigree in authentic, high quality restorations and because
the vehicle fills a significant gap in the Trustís
collection. Haynes, itself a registered charity, also
recognised the Trustís commitment to sharing its collection
with the public which, this year, has resulted in some
29,000 free vintage bus rides.
No.1852 is the only surviving Western or
Southern National example of the once prolific Bristol KSW.
The KSW was the ultimate development of Bristolís K-type
chassis, built from 1936 to 1957, taking full advantage of a
change in legislation in 1950 which increased the maximum
width of buses by 6 inches (155mm) to 8 feet (2438mm).
No.1852 enjoyed an 18 year career with
Southern and, from 1969,Western National, working from their
depots in Weymouth and Yeovil, before further service with
Mellorís Coaches of Goxhill, Lincs. In 1972 it was sold for
preservation to a buyer from Worksop and it moved again for
preservation in 1975 to David Hoare of Chepstow, passing to
the late Keith Thompson for restoration in 1979 and to
Haynes following his untimely death in December 1989.
TV&GWOT Chairman, Colin Billington, said ďThe
acquisition of 1852 is a very significant milestone for the
Trustís Supporters in the West Country, completing the range
of Bristol-built double deck buses in our wider collection.
With Bristol K, KS, KSW, LD, FS, FLF, VRT and Olympian
variants now represented, we are uniquely able to
demonstrate the evolution of the double-decker in the West
Country between 1941 and 1983. 1852 is an extremely
important survivor and we plan to carry out a comprehensive
restoration which will enable it to have an active future in
the West Country. This will give a major boost to the Trust
in furthering its charitable objectives and increasing
access to the historic vehicles which recreate the
experience of bygone travel and offer insight into motor bus
technological advances over the last century.Ē
It is anticipated that the restoration of
1852 will involve volunteers and young apprentices, working
alongside experienced craftsmen as part of the Trustís
commitment to transferring artisan restoration skills to
If you would like to contribute to 1852ís
purchase and restoration, click
or write to ĎTV&GWOTí at its registered office, Ledger Farm,
Forest Green Road, Fifield, Maidenhead, Berks SL6 2NR.